At Edgewater Dental Arts in Edgewater, Maryland, our focus is on achieving and maintaining optimal oral health for children and adults. Annapolis dentist, John Cutting, DMD understands the connections between a healthy mouth and a healthy body. He helps his patients achieve maximum oral health with complete health and wellness in mind.
Preventive Dentistry: What to Expect
Most preventive dentistry visits at Edgewater Dental Arts will include a professional teeth cleaning with a trained dental hygienist. These cleanings prevent plaque build up that cannot be removed with normal at-home brushing and flossing.
Routine visits to our Annapolis area dental office will also include a consultation and exam with Dr. Cutting. He will examine the teeth for potential problems and outline a treatment plan to maintain maximum health.
Another important aspect of preventive dentistry is establishing and maintaining a digital imaging record of each patient’s teeth. This can include digital x-rays, intraoral imaging and other digital imaging.
ADA Recommendations for Good Oral Hygiene
- Brush your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
- Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner. Decay–causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
- Your diet is an important part of your preventive dental care routine. Check out our blog post to learn about how energy drinks can affect your teeth.
Talk to your dentist about what types of oral care products will be most effective for you. The ADA Seal on a product is your assurance that it has met ADA criteria for safety and effectiveness. Look for the ADA Seal on fluoride toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, interdental cleaners, oral irrigators, mouth rinses and other oral hygiene products.
Visit Our Edgewater, MD Dental Office
If you are looking for a family dentist in Edgewater, MD, consider Edgewater Dental Arts. John Cutting, DMD offers comprehensive care for children and adults. New patients are welcome! Call 410.670.7770 or request a consultation online.